Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We are living in a material world and I am a material girl

Just wanted to share a dumb little story that I found amusing. This morning I went in to sub for 1st grade at about 745, and the secretary informs me that she has me down for all day tomorrow and friday but only a half day today. This is not what she told me on the phone, but whatever. So I'm going back at 11. Since I was already up and moving, I decide to wash Samantha (my car) and pick up a few things at Albertsons. As I'm paying for my items (mom, this was right after I hung up with you) the 50-ish year old looking woman that's bagging my grocerys says "You know, when you first walked in here I had to do a double take, because you look just like Madonna". Um... really? So I say, "Hmm, never heard that one before" and she laughs and says, "Yeah, same blonde hair, same figure, same face shape, everything!"
I'm officially annoyed and offended. Madonna is a nice looking woman and all, but she's like 50! And has crazy yoga arms! And same face shape?? Are you kidding me? So I am just ignoring this woman as I am putting my change away, thinking people from New Mexico are nutty. Then she says, "And I bet you're about the same age"
Now there is a part of me that immediately realizes there must be some kind of mistake. But the other part of me is thinking "what if she is a weird New Mexican who thinks Madonna is only like 40 and assumes that I am also 35-40? Do I really look 15 years or more older than I really am?" I am just looking at this lady like she has grown another head. As I'm reaching for my cart I kind of smile and say "I think I'm just a bit younger than her". Now it is the ladys turn to look at me like I've grown another head. She says "Well she's 21, am I way off?" Now I know she's a crazy New Mexican who's probably on drugs. I just kinda smile and say "ok well thanks so much, have a nice day" and leave. It wasn't until I was already on the way home that I realized what happened... I'm pretty sure she meant, "my daugher", but with her hick accent she said it more like "ma dotta" and I heard "Madonna". Now I feel bad for acting like she was crazy and on drugs. Ha.

9 comments:

  1. hahaha I needed a good laugh. I hate it when anyone even remotely thinks that I might be older than I really am. Probably because I am 54 though. I remember once when somebody thought I was Danae's mother. Think of it..Danae's. Yes I had her at 5...what an insult. haha This woman was probably talking about her OWN daughter your right. But I think there is a poss she might not have known who Madona really was, and had her mixed up with someone else. haha But I think I would have probably said, "Wow, Madona is around 50, if I look that old I might cry." Hope you have a good day at work.....Love you....one more week and you will be here.......YEAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. MEL YOUR GETTING OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, Madonna is 51 or so, and you're 22? You ARE practically the same age. Your life is shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously, there is nothing as annoying as you thinking that someone thinks you look old. You are a stun and the idea that you look more than 20 is assinine. I, on the other hand, can only imagine the compliment of someone saying I looked like a toenail of Madonna. I think she is beautiul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,
    I'm sure in moms eyes, her life has been shot for years, our lives are both shot, and Annabel is being lined up to be shot next. Baby Cody and Donatella have a few years left... by the way, the weekend is shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha I wouldn't go so far as to say that both of your lives are shot....but mine?? and the week-ends shot for sure.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, let's face it, 2009 is shot, which means the decade is shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Lord I.m 84 I should be shot

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha I think this remark is offically shot....

    ReplyDelete