Sunday, February 22, 2009

A General Update

I've never actually written a blog before, but always secretly wanted to so I guess this gives me the perfect excuse. So I guess this one is going to be a general update of my life for those of you who haven't really heard.. married life is fabulous and even though I've been married less than a year, I feel like my old life was a very, very long time ago. Everything has changed yet it seems surprisingly reg. By the way, won't it be nice to use words like "reg" "berini" "stun" "horrid" "tippish" etc. without people thinking you're crazy or asking you what they mean??? It's funny, I thought Mike knew all our family words, but on on super bowl I said "doggies" when something happened and he looked at me like I had ten heads. Anyway, I've been subbing pre k-12th grade and it's been very interesting. My favorite by far is the little ones. Especially the pre k kids, most of whom are special needs kids. I never thought I'd enjoy special needs kids, but some of them are just so cute and they try so hard... They mentioned giving me a full time job within the next couple months there, which I would love to do but I almost feel like it would be a big step down. I could have taught pre k years ago... what exactly was the point of graduating college then? My most hated grade is high school. I like the kids (most of them anyway) but it's such a boring day, I literally read almost an entire book in one busy "work day". I had to force myself not to read during my lunch break so that I wouldn't finish before 7th period and be left to stare at 30 kids doing a boring worksheet for 58 minutes. Also, Lea County (where I live) is the number ONE county in the NATION for teen pregnancy. They have a day care for the students babies on campus. They are building one at the Jr High as well. That's right, Jr High. A few weeks ago I had pregnant girls or girls with babies in every single one of my classes. Its insane and needless to say, our kids will not be attending Lovington High school. On a side note, I am always amused at how much Hollister these kids seem to wear with stuff like "del mar" or "la jolla" or my personal fave, "huntington beach" written on it. I told the girl in the huntington beach shirt that was where I'm from (close enough) and she gave me a rude look and said she'd never even heard of it and that it was "just a shirt". Okkk. I had a very strong urge to come back with an equally rude remark and spent the next 30 minutes coming up with various scathing comebacks in my head. None of which I can remember now. Most of the kids are actually cool though, but I still prefer 4 or 5 year olds. Anyway I guess that's enough rambling for today......

8 comments:

  1. You know how perky I am that you are on...even though I knew most of this stuff it was still entertaining. Just a quick thought on the pre-k kids. If that's the age you really like, why not?? You can always teach the other kids if you wanted to later on. Is the money the same?? But once again if the money isn't an issue, why not?? Though I also believe that special needs kids is almost more of a calling, so I would pray about it alot if I were you....did you think you would get away with "mom" comments on here?? haha Love you Melly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! I agree with your mom, if that is what you enjoy, then go for it. I am sure your education will still come into play in a useful way, even at that level. I know I would not like the high school level, either. Kids, at one of their most annoying periods in life...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot, I love your blog title!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont lie...the reason you like the 4 to 5 yr olds is because they dont talk back and you dont have to think and re think scathing comebacks to come back with....mel...it isnt 6th grade anymore...lol and dont worry about mike not getting all of our weird wordings...sometimes i too think phil has caught on but then i'll say something like M.E.!! and he'll look at me and ask,,,,"why did u just SPELL OUT me?" lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. students baby daycare at Jr. high? were talking about 12/13 year olds here mel. i dont agree with putting in a student's baby daycare at the jr. high. makes becoming pregnant at that age more acceptable. have these kids never herd of condoms over there? whats going on over there mel, why is everyone getting pregnant, there has to be some theory or study behind it if its the #1 county in the nation. anyways, miss ya mel. COME BACK TO CALI SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easy on 50 comments on your blog. I LOVE the name. A stun. And I like hearing about your days by you...as only you can in a Mel way. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ant, you are totally right! It was Mike who first told me about the day care for Jr Highers, and I didn't even believe him. I told him he must be mistaken and I didn't buy it. Then the high school day care people told me about the new one at the Jr High and I had to admit to Mike that he was right... thank you I feel like I am the only one outraged here!! hello, get a sex ed program psychos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I must be a glue. I did not realize until I saw Ant's comments and read your answer, that I realized you were talking about a Day Care at the Junior High. That is one of the most orbitally assinine things I have EVER heard of. What are the parents of the newborns doing? (and i don't mean the baby ones)

    ReplyDelete