Monday, September 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Well today is my mothers birthday. It's really weird that I'm not there to spend it with her. My mom is easily my best friend, and it's bizarre living so far away. I honestly don't know what I would do without my mom to talk to on a daily basis, even if it's just checking in. If there is any situation in my life that I need to hash out with someone, I always go to her. No one else will do. It has always been that way, and I'm guessing it will always be that way. I value her opinion and her judgement more than just about any one elses in the world. We've had so many laughs and good times, rants and balling jags (mainly me on the balling jags) and everything in between. From my countless softball trips, to our drives and chews, to our shopping days and lunches, to planning my wedding, and everything in between, she has always been there for me. My mom is my number one cheerleader, always encouraging me to do my best and keep my head up. She always knows when it's best to comfort me and let me vent, and when I need to just "move along" and get through it. One of my favorite sayings from my mom is something I'm pretty sure she heard from her mom, "This too shall pass." And I still think of that saying whenever something seems like the end of the world. "Its not the end of the world" is another favorite saying of hers! And it's another that I always think of and say to others.
I'm thinking back on past good times with my mom, and I just thought of one that was so funny at the time that I literally laughed out loud right now thinking of it.... We were in the midst of planning my wedding, specifically trying to find the location. We had made our way to Dove Canyon, in south orange county. Its a very affluent, stunner area and we kept making jokes about how surely someone was going to run out and ask us to please get our dirty car off their streets of gold. We saw the country club, and made several comments about how buffed and glinged the whole place was, and pulled up to a Golden Spoon in the area for a yogurt. We go inside and get our yogurt, then retreat back to our car to eat it so we could mock ourselves in peace. We begin shoveling yogurt into our mouths, and I, brilliant and witty as I am, say something so hilarious that mom begins laughing. I don't even remember what exactly it was that I said, but she's laughing one of those silent, shaking laughs to where she can't even control herself. Yogurt begins literally falling out of her mouth onto her shirt and on the car seat. This, of course, causes me to practically pee my pants from laughing so hard. Luis Vuitton toting housewives are clicking by outside, shooting us disgusted looks of disapproval as we continue to laugh, and mom doesn't even try to stop the yogurt from dribbling everywhere. It was truly a hilarious moment.
We have so many stories like these... it is truly ridiculous. I know I am lucky to have a mom who will always be on my side, no matter what. At the same time, she's not afriad to tell me when I'm being an ass or when I'm wrong. I sometimes feel like its always her doing stuff for me and being there for me. I hope as I continue to get older she will start to feel like I'm always there for her as well.
Happy Birthday, Mom!! Wish I was there to help celebrate. I love you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks my Melly!! I too remember that day, in fact the minute you mentioned you were going to tell one of our funny moments I KNEW it was going to be this one. I was sooo afriad of choking I was laughing so hard I had to just open my mouth and let it roll out..hahaha...and then of course it had dribbled on my shirt which I was only able to barely clean, and then I still had to go to that stunner place and try not to look like a dork...You as always looked adorable, but I was a wreck, haha....Do you remember standing in the parking lot laughing and laughing (we just couldn't get it together) and holding hands hanging onto each other. What a fun day that was!! And your right, we have had soo many....It IS weird you are not here... = ( And yet, we may not see each other as much as either one of us would like to anymore, but no one will ever take away all the good times we shared, and God willing there are MANY MANY more to come...And don't worry, as I age and become hobbled and bent, I KNOW you will be will there for me...you already are in many ways. You are always the first one I call when I feel something is wonderfully right, or spinning out of control. I can't wait until your here again. Love you Mel....

    ReplyDelete