Monday, June 22, 2009

Against Texas Twang.

Not long ago John accused me of having a bit of a Texas accent. I'd like to take this oppurtunity to announce that I have NOT picked up any sort of accent, and I am now determined not to let this happen to me, Mike, or any of my children.
Not everything about the accent annoys me, just some parts. The general slower, less enunciated way of talking doesn't bother me. It's kind of cute. And "y'all" doesn't bug me either. Really, y'all makes sense. Someone out here commented that we say "you guys" a lot. It's really true, we say "you guys" or "everyone" or "all of you" instead of y'all. And really "you all" isn't any worse than that. There are a few words that really bug me, however. I'll start with "fixin". People out here say fixin alllllll the time. "It's fixin to rain" or "they were fixin to go to lubbock" or "what time are yall fixin to get there?" This bothers me. Don't really know why, and it didn't really bug me at first... it just sounds dumb. Next, "reckon". This is not used quite as commonly, but when it is, it really gets to me. There's no quicker way to sound like a red neck than to use the word reckon. Really only older men use it, but still. Not ok. And on to my most hated, one that I had never even heard of before I came out here... "do what?"
Whenever someone didn't hear you, instead of saying "what?" or "excuse me" or even "pardon"... they say "do what??" in this really dumb sounding voice... At first I was very confused... I always want to say, "I didn't ask you to do anything!!" They can never just say what, its always do what. My children will be punished if they use that phrase. I just re read this and it sounds kind of mean. I guess it's not their fault. Just gets to me every now and then. Whats weird is that before I came out here, I thought that accent was really cute, and wouldn't have minded picking it up. That has definitely changed.
If you ever hear me say any of these words, although I'd be very surprised because I'm determined not to use them, feel free to smack me.

6 comments:

  1. hahaha I have to admit the "Do what?" is just downright weird....it doesn't even make sense even if you are digging....are you sure you hear it right?? haha and when you think of all the weird things we say just within our family from all of us talking this way (tip, tippish, bone reg., bonanza, just to name a few) and that's just one family, good luck on your kids not picking up on the way everyone else talks around them....face it Mel there is a GOOD chance they WILL BE rednecks...haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm hearing it right!! We've all discussed it. It's ridiculous.
    Our fam words are different.. at least they make sense. I'm telling you, I will literally punish my children if they say do what. A belt whipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the "Do what?" is just plain weird. For some reason I kind of like the "fixin"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, shoot Boost, y'all shouldn feel bad bout soundin like a hillbilly! Hell, I'm a fixin to head down yonder an learn how to talk like homefolks too! Who wants to talk like they come from the city anyway? They aint even got yoters in the city!

    ReplyDelete